History of the Cannons

History of the Cannons

In 1656, the Ilzenberg Manor was directly affected by the war between Sweden and Russia. The facts testify that there were three cannons of the 17th century in the manor area, left behind by the Swedish army. In 1926, the landlady of the Ilzenberg Manor Liwia Dymsza donated the cannons to Kaunas War Museum.

The first restored cannonAfter the 89-year break – in 2015 – the cannons will return to the Ilzenberg Manor. They were trimmed again, strictly in accordance with the war gunnery production technology of the 17th century. There is a special area for these Swedish cannons equipped beside the barn, which for centuries served as a manor defence bastion.

The direct oppression of the Ilzenberg Manor by military operations between Sweden and Russia is evidenced by three cannons arranged within the manor, allegedly, “left behind by Swedish” since the 17th century. Donation of the cannons to Kaunas War Museum in 1926 was mentioned at least in four periodicals.

 

Our website is protected by DMC Firewall!