The Ilzenberg manor was founded in 1515 by Berndt Kerssenbrock, a vassal of the Order of Livonia. He owned 615 ha of land and 2,234 ha of land with peasants. Historical documentation of the port of Riga suggests that the Ilzenberg Manor was engaged in economic activities even back then. B.Kerssenbrock, through the port of Riga, traded grain, butter, tar, spices, and other farming products.
No historical sources about the Ilzenberg manor in the period of ruling of its first landlords, German noblemen Kerssenbrocks, survived. However, there is evidence that the manor’s infrastructure, in essence, was not different from estates typical for Livonia and Northeast Lithuania of those days, which consisted of a dwelling house (palace) and outbuildings: stables, stack yard, barn, smokehouse, shed, icehouse, creamery, and bathhouse.
During the period of 1863-1896, the Ilzenberg manor was managed by Fuchs. He rebuilt the manor, which remained virtually unchanged to this day.
We can find information about the new landlord of the Ilzenberg Manor, German engineer N.N.Fuchs, in notes of the writer G.Isokas. He wrote down locals’ stories about Ilzenberg. The legend tells that Ilzenberg Manor was rebuilt in the 19th century by the German engineer of Tsarist Russia, who laid down railway in the region. The engineer purchased land in this place, built a palace herein, and named the manor Ilzenberg after his wife Ilze.
As we see, the legend intertwines truth with fiction. The new landlord N.N.Fuchs was indeed of German origin, works as an engineer at the Tsarist Russia’s railway. However, as mentioned above, the name of the Ilzenberg Manor was known back in the 16th century. No data of the name of N.N.Fuchs’ wife survived. Ilze or, maybe, Elza. This, in turn, might inspire people to create a legend about the origin of the name the Ilzenberg Manor. There might be another version that the engineer was looking for the right place to settle and he liked the coincidence of the name of the manor for sale with his wife's name.
The manor palace was constructed in the mid-19th century, with architecture in late classicism. The two-storey palace has a spatial composition – semi-open volume, L-shaped layout, which consists of the western and southern blocks with attic and basement under the southern block. The roof is double-pitch.
Volumetric components of the facade architecture: a planar portico on the southern block’s South facade, with four plastered brick pilasters, an entablature, and a triangular pediment over it. Facade pediments on all sides of the palace are framed with plastered brick profiled cornices, and in the basement – brick cylindrical and cylindrical lunette canopies. It is believed that the basement could be built by the first landlords Kerssenbrocks.
- The manor palace before reconstruction The manor palace before reconstruction
- Fragment of Fragment of the palace eaves Fragment of Fragment of the palace eaves
- The palace’s cellar vaults The palace’s cellar vaults
- Beginning of the palace reconstruction Beginning of the palace reconstruction